On May 8, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Arno Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/8/2007 11:27 PM, Sandro Mendes wrote:
>> Hello people,
>> I have backups configured to use file volume instead tapes. The
>> backup are been saved in my HD, so I want to have a volume that
>> must be erased every week to continue using that same volume (like
>> a full job).
>> Here is my config.:
>> Pool {
>>   Name = MondayPool
>>   Pool Type = Backup
>>   Recycle = yes
>>   AutoPrune = yes
>>   Label Format="Catalog-"
>>   Volume Retention = 6d
>>
>> After some tests, the volume doesn't be erased and continue been
>> incremented.
>>
>> What could be wrong?
>
> Bacula doesn't erase volumes (that would be pointless for tapes, and
> Bacula treast files similar to tapes).
>
> Instead, you reuse volumes. Bacula recycles a volume only when it has
> to. To force it to recycle existing volumes, limit the amount of data
> written to it, the number of jobs, or the time it may be appended to.
>
> In your config, you've got none of these settings.
>
> I suggest to limt the volume size to a reasonable amount of data,
> allow
> Bacula to create new volumes as needed, and limit the number of
> volumes
> in the pool.
>
> Thus, you can control how much of your disk Bacula uses.
>
> Arno

If that's the case, then what is the point of having a volume
retention period?  It
seems like you're saying that setting isn't even honored.  In my
case, if I have to
guess how many volumes I need in order to limit my disk space, and
it's going to
be different for each storage server, that's pretty inconvenient.

(\_/)
(o,o)
()_()  Joseph Wright
  " "