Hello,

On 5/11/2007 11:37 AM, luket wrote:
> Good morning
>
> I am currently running bacula on a CentOS machine with no problems.  I am
> waiting to install a tape drive (problem sourcing the connector to the
> server)
>
> I am having a problem with clearing out data over a certain length of time.
> I have had a look through FAQ's and also through this forum and although
> people have been having similar problems I have been unable to find a proper
> solution.
>
> I basically have all my backups running to files (each job has a seperate
> pool) these are currently running into massive sizes.

This sounds as though you did not limit the volume growth using any of
the possible ways - use time, size, number of jobs.

> What I want to do is
> utilize the pruning/recycling function in Bacula.
>
> I am a little unsure as to what the various config tags do within the
> bacula-dir.conf.

I think these are all explained in sufficient detail in the manual. If
you encounter problems understanding how they work together I'm sure we
can answer more targeted questions.

> I currently have the following in the Client resource:
>
>   File Retention = 10 days
>   Job Retention = 1 month
>   AutoPrune = yes
>
> In the pool resources I have the following in there:
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 15 days
>   Accept Any volume = yes

The point here is to note that the retention only starts after a volume
was last written. You've got to ensure your backups proceed to another
volume, and Bacula marks the terminated volumes as 'Used' or 'Full'.

> I want my backups to run full backups on a Friday and incremental every
> other day, I want a full weekly backup to tape and each month
> clear/prune/recycle what is on the server so the volumes are back down to
> zero.

That would need to be done manually (or by script), as there is no way
to tell bacula to 1) purge all jobs based upon a job that is being
purged, an 2) Bacula does not delete or truncate files when they are
purged, it merely notices that they can be overwritten. For files, an
actual truncate only happens when a volume is being recycled.

> Does anybody have any advice on a smiple way to do this? or failing that, a
> difficult way to do it as my attempts have all turned out as failures!!!

Start limiting the volume size, and see if that doesn't already get you
close to where you want to go. I suppose it will.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]