Hello Dave,

Please always copy the list -- thanks.

On Sunday 27 May 2007 23:44, Dave wrote:
> Hi Kern,
>     How much feedback have you got with both tls and pki on windows systems?

Yes, some.  To the best of my knowledge the comm encryption (tls) is working
fine.  However, there is an open bug report #807 on the data encryption (pki)
on Windows systems, which I have not been able to duplicate -- any additional
testing by other people would be welcome.

> I'm about to try it, i've got both of those working on FreeBSD, i'm about to
> add a linux client, and two windows machines, with a third bsd box in the
> future. I was wondering if you needed feedback or questions answered i could
> provide it if you had any?

Well, the more people who try it, the better.  Aside from resolving the above
bug, my biggest concern with the data encryption code is that the
documentation is not as complete as some users would like -- it is fine for
those who understand encryption, certificates, and all that, but it is not
sufficiently detailed for novices.  Any "contributions" to improve the manual
would be appreciated.  The questions that seem to come up the most often
involve how to configure the other daemons (I think I example shows only
one), and how to generate, deploy, and use a master key.

> I did notice a difference between data encryption
> on and off a performance hit and posted it. If you think i can provide any
> useful information let me know.

Of course, there is a performance hit.  Encryption is *extremely* compute
intensive.  There is not much we can do about that, since I see nothing
terribly inefficient in the code.

Best regards,

Kern