Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Well, this one looks difficult.

At least it's not just me, then =)

> I suggest to monitor the memory usage of your server. I experienced
> problems with (usually) the DIR or (seldomly) the SD using up all
> available memory. Wich probably might affect the kernel so that it can't
> allocate memory for the network stuff.

That would explain why nothing visibly changed.  One or two jobs simply pushed
some internal resource over the magic threshold, and triggered the memory
consumption.

> You should have something in the systems log files then, I suppose.

I didn't find anything that appeared related in the log files.  I have a quick
and dirty system in place to monitor the memory usage of the dir and sd that
I'll run through tonight's jobs, so we'll see how that looks.

> A work around would be to not start all your jobs at once but run them
> in batches. Lowering job concurrency will not work as a job waiting for
> an available slot to run will also use memory.
>
> Also, you could try upgrading to the current development version as I
> believe Kern worked on that problem. You should check the change log.

I think I might at least wait until Kern releases an official beta before
trying that one out =)

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken