Hello again,

On 6/7/07, Arno Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6/7/2007 11:05 PM, Kyle Marsh wrote:
> > That's an interesting suggestion -- I could have a Python script that
> > gets called and parses the config file to determine the full name from
> > the client name.  That gets rid of the magic, at least (or replaces it
> > with worse magic, depending on your perspective).
>
> Well, personally, I like bad magic, but not in production systems :-)
>
> I was rather thinking of making the client resource available to to the
> python event, but I have no idea how that would be done.
>
> >> For my setups, the clients affected by possible non-availability are
> >> only a minority, so I just added the line to the jobs as needed.
> >>

> > Unfortunately I'm not sure how the boxes are to be set up -- most are
> > machines for students doing research with their professors and they
> > will change hands and configuration every semester.  I don't know if
> > users will decide to shut them down overnight or what, so I was hoping
> > to find a blanket that could cover them all.
>
> Ok, that is a nihtmare for anyone responsible for backups. I'd use the
> aproach with a ping, set a high number of retries with long intervals in
> between (something like 1 hour interval, 12 retries), NOT rerun failed
> jobs, and set a maximum job wait time etc.

So a RunBeforeJob to do the ping, then RescheduleOnError = yes,
RescheduleInterval = 1 hour, and RescheduleTimes = 12?  What do you
mean by not rerun failed jobs? Don't we want to rerun it if they miss
one?  Or does that mean if it gets rescheduled 12 times, not to
reschedule it for another 12 and just let tomorrow's try?  Also where
would I specify that?

> This should get you usable backups from time to time, probably during
> the day, but whoever wants a work day without backup load can simply
> leave the computer on during the night (which is, ecologically as well
> as economically, not so good...).
>
> You could refine this with tries to wake-on-lan the machines and turn
> them off after backups, if you woke them up yourself. Just a nice
> practice in writing a script in your favorite language :-)

Hmm...you intrigue me :-).  I'll have to see about this -- I'll let
you know if I do it and it works out well.

> > Thanks for the help, Arno.  Is there any chance of you taking a look
> > at my other post about the pool configuration?  That's really the more
> > pressing now.
>
> Sure, for money I do quite a lot :-)

:-)

> I even do things for free, only I don't know which mail you refer to :-(

I sent another mail right after this one asking how well the sample
configuration for pools of disk backups (here:
http://bacula.org/rel-manual/Automated_Disk_Backup.html) scales, since
the example only has one client and I fear horrible things if I simply
up the number of clients without changing anything else.

Thanks a bunch for all your help,

~Kyle Marsh