On Friday 08 June 2007 03:29, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> [...]
> >> Kern> problems with SCO and threats from Microsoft, their license
> >> Kern> concerns are quite understandable.
> >>
> >> Sure, I can understand this.
> >>
> >> Kern> This is not a show-stopping issue because at least for the
> >> Kern> moment, no author of pure GNU GPL code is lodging a complaint.
> >> Kern> In addition as I mentioned in a previous email, this issue could
> >> Kern> potentially be resolved by GPL v3 (due at the end of the month,
> >> Kern> if I remember right) because it is compatible with the Apache
> >> Kern> license, which is apparently what OpenSSL uses.
> >>
> >> Yup, Openssl uses the Apache license.
> >>
> >> Kern> In the mean time, until this problem is resolved, I've freezed
> >> Kern> all inclusion of new GPL code (copyrighted by others) in Bacula.
> >>
> >> So basically, you're saying that people who contribute code to bacula
> >> under the GPL license (which is what they need to do to get it
> >> distributed) can't contribute anymore?
> >>
> >> Kern> The really complicated aspect of the above is that if you build
> >> Kern> a program such as Bacula using all your own code, and you use
> >> Kern> OpenSSL then in linking it, you just happen to drag some GPL'ed
> >> Kern> code from some library directly into your binary (most
> >> Kern> libararies are shared objects so do not become part of your
> >> Kern> binary), as is the case with the statically linked Bacula used
> >> Kern> in the rescue package, you are in violation of the GPL if you
> >> Kern> distribute such a binary.
> >>
> >> Ah... now I see, it's the static linking part which causes the
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> Kern> It seems that the only solution is that if you use GPL code, you
> >> Kern> must use *all* GPL compatible code (not so easy), and if you
> >> Kern> don't use it, you shouldn't even use the system libraries if
> >> Kern> there is any chance they could be accidentally linked into your
> >> Kern> program.
> >>
> >> It's an interesting point for sure.  In this case, it all hinges on
> >> the OpenSSL people and their use of the Apache license.  Which I would
> >> assume would actually be a bigger issue since Apache uses that license
> >> and I'm SURE that there are alot more Apache setups out there than
> >> Bacula.
> >>
> >> So how does Debian/Fedora work around Apache using the MySQL libraries
> >> with the openssl stuff?  Or do they just punt because Apache (as they
> >> distribute it) only does dynamic linking?
> >>
> >> Honestly, I think you're over-reacting here to closing down
> >> submissions from people.
> >
> > I never said that I was closing down submissions from people. I said that
> > was not accepting any GPL'ed code.  Submissions come from people who have
> > transferred their copyright.
>
> Would this only, the, apply to programmers who had written something
> previously that was applicable to backups and then inserted into Bacula,
> or perhaps situations in which people wrote code that was intended for
> Bacula, but then instead of just making it part of the Bacula project,

There is no problem with code written by a Bacula developer who submits it
because he has filled out a FLA (i.e. transferred the copyright to FSFE).
The problem is in taking code developped by other people that is copyrighted
by them and using that code in Bacula without having a copyright assignment.

> It's unclear to me what a developer would need to do differently.
> Granted this doesn't matter a whole lot to me as I don't really do any
> programming, but I'm curious as the explanation is a little confusing.
> I'm not sure if that's just me since I'm unfamiliar with this stuff, or
> whether it's the description.

Yes, I agree the whole thing is confusing and frustrating.