Andreas Helmcke wrote:
> On 08.06.2007 16:20, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>> Marc Levy wrote:

>>> You've got to solutions:
>>> 1/ The answer is in the manual too:
>>> 'Chapter 14: Alert Command' (bottom of page 228 of bacula.pdf v2.0.3):
>>> "you will need to specify a Changer Device directive in your Device resource
>>> (...) so that the generic SCSI device name can be edited into the command
>>> (with
>>> the %c)."
>>> 2/ The second one, more elegant, as you do not have to define a
>>> ChangerDevice=
>>> directive for a device that is not an autochanger, is to modify the
>>> AlertCommand= and replace the '%c' with '%a' that is the subtitution for the
>>> archive device name (as stated in the manual (chapter 28.5 bottom of page
>>> 409
>>> and other places as well). This way Bacula will substitute '%a' with the
>>> actual
>>> value of the ArchiveDevice= directive in your SD.conf file before it is
>>> sent to
>>> the OS for execution.
>
> I dare say - without having checked this version, but fought with Alert
> Command for a while - that this wont work.
>
> When bacula is executing the Alert Command the storage daemon is using
> the tape and thus preventing the smartcl to access the tape device.
>
> So you are either back to solution number 1 (having to add a changer
> device when not having an autochanger) or you have to replace the %c
> with the name of the generic scsi-device of the tape drive (using linux
> the name is something like /dev/sg4)

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do not believe Solaris uses companion
generic device names in addition to the standard tape drive names. If it
does, I've never come across them (unless we're talking about those
crazy [EMAIL PROTECTED],4, etc. device names that hang out under /dev
someplace).
I suppose I will find out soon enough whether Solaris' handling of
drives allows for this sort of thing or not.

> By the way:
> I would recommend to use this form *especially* when using multidrive
> autochangers or you will only ask the changer for its status while
> asking the tape gives more and more useful information.

Not 100% sure what you mean in this case. I don't have an autochanger,
so this doesn't much matter to me, but I'm curious how this alleviates
the problem you were talking about, as it seems to me you can only
specify one Changer Device, so you'd still only be able to ask about one
drive (or the changer itself).

>> Thanks for the ideas -- I should have looked there in the manual, but I
>> didn't expect the "Alert Command" to have such an elaborate description
>> in the manual -- I suppose that will teach me to underestimate it. ;)
>>
>> Thanks to all of those that responded -- hopefully this will make things
>> a little easier, too, for those that search the list archives for an answer.

- --
 ---- _  _ _  _ ___  _  _  _
 |Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Systems Programmer III
 |$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _| |[EMAIL PROTECTED] - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Novosielski
n:Novosielski;Ryan
org:UMDNJ;IST/AST
adr;dom:MSB C630;;185 South Orange Avenue;Newark;NJ;07103
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Programmer III
tel;work:(973) 972-0922
tel;fax:(973) 972-7412