resending to the list
--- Begin Message ---
El lun, 02-07-2007 a las 14:29 +0100, Alan Brown escribió:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > My two cents:
> >
> > May be could be possible for bacula-fd to collect/transmit to bacula-dir
> > the creation/modification time for each file to be backed up and add
> > this two values into two new fields for file table. In case of 'near X
> > time' restore, this values could be queried to point to the 'correct'
> > file to restore.
>
> You missed the scenario of files appearing with ctime/mtime PRIOR to the
> last backup. This can happen if a filesystem was unmounted during past
> backups or if a directory tree is moved.

yup! may be I explained the idea too quick without spending the
sufficient time to explain it better.

My idea is based on 'Selects' to database prior to compound the list of
files to restore, based on file time.

If I store mtime in one column and ctime in another column, IMMO:

- I can know the 'versions' of the same file between creation/deletions
with the same path/name.

- I can know if file has been deleted at any time selecting rows from
actual and previous backups and see if file exists ( that's is something
that I must search in docs, by now i don't know if bacula-dir receives
some "I will not backup this file 'cause I'm doing incremental/acum and
the file has not changed"  message from bacula-fd, but I've no time to
do the research :( ).

- In case of moved data, I understand that will be backed up from the
new path when performing the backup process.

In case of ctime/mtime prior, if selects return that the file exists, I
consider it valid and put it on restore list. ( if you unmount a
filesystem for a while, this can be understood as deleted, then you must
recover files from this unmounted filesystem from a time when the
filesystem was mounted and backed up. 2 restore processes, once 'until
now' and another one for 'time when the unmounted filesystem was mounted
and backed up'. If you unmount it for a while, then you can't modify it,
isn't it? )

The idea is to first create the restore list based on time and then let
the admin to select what to restore.

> Mtime/ctime should already be saved, as they're restored along with file
> content.

? as part of the file or mtime/ctime is saved in dedicated columns of a
table ?

Best regards

D.

--- End Message ---