Please also note that, in the new and improved versions, the device name
is enclosed in double quotes, just like in the book and your examples, but
not, alas, like my originals.

Now when I attempt the label barcode, I am presented with a choice of
devices, VXA and Auto. I choose 'Auto', but get exactly the same result from
Bacula. No matter what I do, it can't open the device "VXA3" (/dev/nst0).

This might be a permissions issue. Depending on your install your bacula-sd
may be running as user bacula. If so you need to make sure that user bacula
has full access to the tape drive.

John