It was suggested that perhaps my 50 GB/hr data rate was due to the
client maxing out around that rate.  I believe I have verified this.
Previously I had been used to seeing much higher rates on another backup
system, but I was only backing up servers using high performance SCSI
disks, RAIDed together.

I installed the bacula client on one of those servers, where I saw a
backup rate of about 77 GB/hr (21375.8 KB/s as reported by bacula).

I now see that this is in approximately the same speed I was able to get
with Veritas Backup Exec on that particular collection of files.  The
files in question are videos, about 100MB each, 82 GB total, and
probably reasonably well compressed.