On Monday 16 July 2007 22:38, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2007 at 16:30, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > On 16 Jul 2007 at 22:19, Francisco Rodrigo Cortinas Ma wrote:
> >
> > > - In the fact that you need funding, the right way is to ask for
> > > "donations". This will remain valid as long as the project
> > remains
> > > "small".
> >
> > We have asked for donations.  In a prevoius email, Kern mentioned
> > this has been about $8000 since 2000.  That's about $4 a day.  Given
> > the number of users, it's pretty clear that donations don't work.
>
> Please ignore my calculations.  They are not based on fact.  I messed
> up. My apologies.

I never calculated it on a day basis.  If I do so, it looks like my out of
pocket expenses have been running about $22 per day.  If you include a
reasonable salary based on my last one (1995) it would be more like $550 per
day.

I'm sure people like Dan and Scott many others understand, but perhaps users
don't realize that Bacula is where it is today not because I devoted part of
my time to it.  It has been continuous 60-80 hour weeks for the 7.5 years I
have been working on it.  In saying that, I certainly don't want to minimize
the contributions that were made by many people (see the AUTHORS file).

Most guys in my shoes would have sold the software (cups was just sold to
Apple, ...).  I figure the *minimum* price for Bacula would be $3-4 million.
My salary alone during that time would have been at least $1.5 million.
However, I have transferred the copyright to FSFE so that Bacula (the source)
will not and cannot be bought.

When I receive criticism for wanting to provide additional services and trying
to ensure that it is properly funded in a *fair* way so that the effort won't
go broke, I get the feeling that some people are living in a fantasy world
where they believe, without realizing it, that Open Software programmers can
survive on air only and they are obligated to serve corporate interests.
Most likely this is not how the critics feel, but it is certainly the
impression that comes across at least to me.