Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> So, I think it's a good plan from every angle.  Furthermore, I think that
>> anyone who doesn't think it's a good plan either hasn't reviewed it
>> thoroughly, or has some strange axe to grind.
>
> There actually is one potentially negative downside I can think of.  Right
> now, it's trivial to evaluate the software - download and play.  One of the
> best bits about free software is that there is no risk at all in trialling
> software beyond the time spent.  By adding in this barrier, there's more
> hassle involved getting the software and getting a functional first impression
> (at least for platforms where binaries aren't readily available or compilable
> elsewhere).

It is a marvel to me how someone can give away a major part of their
life, their time, their talent, for free. Yet, when they ask for the
littlest bit of help or appreciation they are berated. Companies make
money on OSS, they MAKE MONEY ON OSS!.

I have an ongoing personal struggle which is currently leading me to
leave the internet industry. I work hard to try and get every company I
have been employed with the donate, not a pidly twenty bucks, more like
five thousand. The use of Apache (free) has saved the company I
currently work for over twenty five thousand dollars a year. The most
common reply I get is "we can't afford it", my response is  "you have a
bad business model then because you based your companies survival on an
unknown resource that you cannot afford to replace".

This weekend Bacula saved my bacon, if we expand it's use it will become
a service we can charge clients for. The company I work for will make
money from the use of Bacula, as I am certain others on this list do
already. In my opinion a donation of 25% of the yearly cost of a
comparable commercial product is not unreasonable, it is a bargin. I
also know it won't happen.

This all reminds me of the story of the father explaining welfare to his
son. He tells his son to go to the park every day at noon and feed the
squirrels all they can eat. Go every day for a year without fail, rain
or shine. Then go to the park and give them nothing, see how long you
sit before they bite you.

I appologise for the rant, it was a long weekend.

Veterans?