Hi,

> What is the best way to backup MySQL databases?
> I've got a few web servers that i'd like to backup, which rely heavily on
> MySQL for offering dynamic content.

> Should i just backup the "/var/lib/mysql/*" directly? Does that mean i have
> to  shutdown the MySQL process during the backup? (which means the web
> server will  be unable to offer content, web sites die)

You can look this :

http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=application_specific_backups#mysql

It depends on your mysql backend (innodb, myisam etc...) and the DB size, but
i think, you will have a downtime during your backup. If you want have a
consistent backup, mysqldump must use --lock-all-tables, so no other
(UPDATE and maybe SELECT) operation will be permited during the dump.

Bye