All,

We recently upgraded the machine running Bacula to Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5 from RHEL 3 and now see a much slower transfer rate during
backups. The version of Bacula is unchanged, 1.38.8, except for
re-compilation against the updated libraries.

One backup, which ran at 8772.2 to 12671.3 KB/s for 6.028 to 8.535 GB
before the upgrade, is now running at 2046.2 to 2464.3 KB/s for 2.77 GB.

Below I've included some output from tapeinfo as the scsi tape driver is
the most likely source of the slowdown. I've tried 'mt -f /dev/nst0
stsetoptions buffer-writes async-writes' with no effect.

I'd really appreciate some ideas on increasing the backup speeds to the
levels we used to get.

Thanks.

        > tapeinfo -f /dev/sg1
        Product Type: Medium Changer
        Vendor ID: 'EXABYTE '
        Product ID: 'LTO 1x7 2U      '
        Revision: 'B008'
        Attached Changer: No
        SerialNumber: '000087031125'
        SCSI ID: 0
        SCSI LUN: 0
        Ready: yes

        > tapeinfo -f /dev/sg2
        Product Type: Tape Drive
        Vendor ID: 'IBM     '
        Product ID: 'ULTRIUM-TD3     '
        Revision: '52E0'
        Attached Changer: No
        SerialNumber: '1210075930'
        MinBlock:1
        MaxBlock:16777215
        SCSI ID: 1
        SCSI LUN: 0
        Ready: yes
        BufferedMode: yes
        Medium Type: 0x38
        Density Code: 0x44
        BlockSize: 0
        DataCompEnabled: yes
        DataCompCapable: yes
        DataDeCompEnabled: yes
        CompType: 0x1
        DeCompType: 0x1
        BOP: yes
        Block Position: 0

        > mt -f /dev/nst0 status
        SCSI 2 tape drive:
        File number=0, block number=-1, partition=0.
        Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x44 (no translation).
        Soft error count since last status=0
        General status bits on (1010000):
         ONLINE IM_REP_EN

--