Hi,

07.08.2007 10:09,, Troy Daniels wrote::
> Hi,
>
> Juan Asensio Sánchez wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> When some error ocurrs when doing a backup, the tape used get the
>> status "Error". How can i change the status so i can use again that
>> tape without needing to delete it and add it again? If i manually set
>> the status "Append" the job runs but i get an error saying that the
>> number of file in the tape is not equal to the number of files in
>> database.
>>

> If you just want to reuse the tape you can mark it as used or full
> instead and it will be recycled as part of your normal tape rotation.

I'd recommend "Used", not "Full", to allow identification of full
tapes for example to estimate the usual capacity of your tapes.

> If you want to reuse it immediately you can use the 'prune' command to
> prune the volume's files/jobs from the catalog - this should allow you
> to re-use it immediately. (But will result in loss of whatever data was
> successfully backed up to it!)

The volume needs to be out of "Error" state before pruning, IIRC.

> If you want to continue using the tape you could try updating your
> database to set the number of files to the value Bacula finds on the
> tape. As I understand it this can have very mixed results, depending on
> the state of the data on the tape and should only be done if you know
> what you are doing.

Yes. It *is* possible to overwrite perfectly good data by setting the
number of files incorrectly. But that also depends on your drive setup
- in most cases, the risk should be very low.

> Someone else will need to provide on specifics on how to do this however
> as I've never performed this particular task myself.

The simplest way is to use 'update volume=<whatever>' in bconsole and
use the menu. One of the options is to set the number of files on the
volumes.

Arno

> Cheers,
>

> Troy Daniels.