Hi,

I am having trouble with my dual-NIC servers: it seems there is no way to
force bacula client on a remote server use a particular fixed
interface/address for data transfers. Even though I have set FDAddress to a
preferred one in bacula-fd.conf on the client, it will still bind to a wrong
interface to do the actual file data transfer. The problem is, the unwanted
interfaces are the ones on external 100Mbit/s network which is much slower
than a dedicated Gigabit private LAN which I want bacula-fd to use. I noticed
this problem while doing full backup of a large file tree, which was spooling
at ca. 10Mbyte/s instead of expected 100Mbyte/s. I then confirmed it by
looking at the output of lsof command on the remote client during initial
spooling phase (running only bacula-fd):

# lsof -n |grep bacula|grep IPv4
bacula-fd 16145      root    3u     IPv4             115553           TCP
192.168.0.253:bacula-fd (LISTEN)

bacula-fd 16145      root    4u     IPv4             115584
TCP 192.168.0.253:bacula-fd->192.168.0.200:33119 (ESTABLISHED)

bacula-fd 16145      root    5u     IPv4             115585
TCP x.x.x.227:43711->x.x.x.136:bacula-sd (ESTABLISHED)

where x.x.x.227 is client's external NIC address, x.x.x.136 is bacula server's
external address; 192.168.0.{253,200} are the corresponding private
addresses. As you can see, while fd daemon on client has indeed been bound to
the private address, it still uses external one for communicating with sd
daemon on the remote bacula server. I've been through all configuration
options to no avail. Unfortunately, binding sd on the server to private net
only is not an option since it also has numerous other clients configured,
that are only accessible via external net (desktop boxes all around the
building, etc). Is there any solution? I am running bacula 1.36.1.

Thanks,
Ivan

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983
and properly dispose of this information.