If bacula supported other DB engines, bacula could be more easily
"evaluated", but the mysql setup is pretty darn simple.  I applaud the
bacula developers for adding extra documentation on mysql into the
bacula docs rather than just a simple link to a google search or
www.mysql.org  If I didn't have the extra help I probably would have
been delayed substantially in implementing bacula at my site.

IMHO, it's somewhat of a design flaw to set up your backup system
depending upon the enterprise db box.  If the enterprise db server goes
down you need to get that up and running, then restore the bacula
catalog, then you can begin restoring everything else.  IMHO, the bacula
database should be tiny and self-contained.  Once you make bacula depend
on two systems you start to increase the complexity of the system in a
way that will make disaster recovery efforts take a lot longer.

I agree regular non-backup apps should generally be able to work with
more than one db engine but I find this requirement for a backup system
a completely different matter.

    Bob