Hi,

I noticed in the wonderfully documented Bacula User's Guide, that Bacula can
be made to work in a 64-bit context:

If you have over 4 billion file entries stored in your database, the
database FileId is likely to overflow. This is a monster database, but
still possible. Bacula's FileId fields have been modified so that they
can be upgraded from 32 to 64 bits in version 1.39 or later, but you
must manually do so.

I plan on using PostgreSQL as the storage system for Bacula. Indeed 4
billion is of "monster" proportions but not necessarily for all applications
(I work with physics packages that dump out copious number of files on the
file system). I can corroborate that PostgreSQL (at least version 8.1)
database clusters can suffer from transaction ID wraparound problems on
every 4 billionth transaction if the databases in the cluster are never
analyzed and vacuumed for example.

I'm running Mac OS X Server 10.4.10 in Intel Xserves (Intel Woodcrest CPUs,
quad core). I'm guessing its a pipe dream at this moment to think that I'll
be able to build a true 64-bit version of PostgreSQL to eschew the 4 billion
transaction issue and to also build Bacula as a 64-bit application if I want
to stick with Mac OS X Server (if Apple is on schedule we have a full 64-bit
UNIX / that is fully POSIX compliant in the form of Mac OS X Server
10.5"Leopard" due to arrive in the next 58 days).

In the mean time do I need to wait for 64-bit UNIX from Apple to then build
a 64-bit PostgreSQL and 64-bit Bacula, or has anyone figured a workaround
until currently?

Thank you for any feedback.