Hello,

Saturday, September 8, 2007, 2:45:48 AM:

DL> On 8 Sep 2007 at 2:42, Doytchin Spiridonov wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> we have spent two weeks of testing until we found the root of the
>> problem (concurrent jobs) and we were 100% sure it is a bug. However
>> after I submitted it as a bug, it was closed as they couldn't
>> replicate it, claiming we have a hardware problem (which we proved is
>> not the case) and required us to send all of our hadrware (which I
>> guess was just a sarcasm or something).

DL> I think you'd agree that replicating the problem is pretty important
DL> to finding the bug.  Having your setup, or at least access to it,
DL> would be pretty vital in that, if we're unable to replicate it here.

>> At least we found a working solution (no concurrent jobs, because with
>> concurent jobs bacula was useless) hoping they will fix it sometime
>> when they receive enough proof that there IS a bug. You can reopen it
>> (as I'm not going to do it after I've got several times a response
>> "can't replicate, so there are no bugs") at bugs.bacula.org

DL> What do you suggest we do if we are unable to replicate the bug?
DL> What course[s] of action would you suggest?

I am not sure as I don't know how it is developed. As at least it is
known where the problem is (concurrent jobs) and if the code related
to this part is not 1000000 lines long I would review it. Actually I
guess this is the only way, as even if you could replicate it, you
would discover there is something wrong with the data in the volumes
after the backup is done, when you try to restore it; or if you have
any way/tools to find what is wrong in such a case you could suggest
to do that at our servers when we discovered the bug. A version with
more detailed debug reports while backing up could be helpful, I don't
know.

As far as I remember someone else faced the same problem at that time
and I'm sure his hardware was different. Now there is another case.
And if more people try to restore their data (if they are backing up
using concurrent jobs) you will see more cases. So the last suggestion
is to improve your test cases as it seems there are such that you
miss...

Regards.