Hi,

I am currently struggling to get any kind of reasonable performance out
of Bacula on my LTO 4 tape size. I have done a considerable of testing
and benchmarking, and my hunch is that bacula's block size of 64512
bytes is causing the performance problems.

To test the drive, I used tar, with various block sizes.

"Blocking size" in tar-speak refers to n * 512 bytes, so a blocking size
of 2048 actually means a 1048576 byte block.

My results show:

Blocking size    Time    MB/s
126              105     20.78
250              81      26.94
1000             54      40.41
1500             43      50.75
2048             34      64.19

Plotting Blocking size against MB/s shows a direct linear relationship
between blocking size and time (and therefore MB/s).

A blocking size of 126 corresponds to a block of 64512 bytes, as used by
bacula. Strangely enough (or not :) this is *nearly exactly* the maximum
performance that I have ever seen bacula write to the drive.

I have tried bacula using the Fifo "virtual" backup device and I can
data coming in at speeds far, far in excess of the 20MB/s. In fact I
have had it coming in from two servers at 800Mbit/sec over a GigE
network. I am therefore confident that it is not the bacula catalogue
causing performance issues.

I am also getting very little compression with bacula - presumably this
is because the tape drive can't compress 64512 blocks very well, and
needs to operate on larger chunks of data.

Is there any way to safely increase the size from 64512 blocks to see if
that helps matters? I understand that running bacula in fixed-block
sized mode is not good. Why is 64512 bytes used anyway? It is not a
power of 2.

Thanks for any help.