On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 21:26 -0500, Drew Bentley wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Ross Boylan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've been having really slow backups (13 hours) when I backup a large
> > mail spool.  I've attached a run report.  There are about 1.4M files
> > with a compressed size of 4G.  I get much better throughput (e.g.,
> > 2,000KB/s vs 86KB/s for this job!) with other jobs.
>

> It most likely is the amount of files you are backing up which can
> greatly increase the amount of time a backup takes, especially when
> it's smaller files like files used for email.
>
> Do yourself a favor. If you really need to backup this email or these
> files, the best solution or the route I would try to go is to try and
> place these in or on hardware with snapshot capabilities.
Snapshotting was working but something in EVMS or LVM has a bug.
> Then if you
> wanted, backup from the snapshot, perhaps even creating a custom
> script to tar or zip up these files, then back that one large file up.
That's a great idea.

> Is this just IMAP type email files in /var/spool or undelivered email?
Yes.  The cyrus store puts each message in a separate file.
> What type of mail is this? Does it really need to be backed up?
> Perhaps even asking users to clean email or setup a policy that
> automatically deletes emails after 30 days or slightly longer needs to
> be enforced. Your probably backing up email with a bunch of packrats
> that simply keep every single piece of email they get when they really
> don't necessarily need it around.
I'm the packrat; it's almost all mine.  I like to keep it and so to back
it up.  The old mail and the new mail are mixed together, so there isn't
a clean way to separate them.  This was deliberate, so that searches
would look at everything at once.

If I do use a tar filter I suppose I could backup the old stuff once and
then just get everything after a certain date.