I was using unmount from bconsole to unmount the tape.  It was not releasing
it.  That is what is confusing me.  But your saying it should.  So its even
more perplexing now.  Release seems to do what I want.  It unmounts the
tape, and releases the drive.  But the word" unmount" seems more intuitive
to me than "release".

Jay