The LTO-3 version of this drive works well under bacula.

The supperload is not the fastest at changing tapes (About a minute) but
as bacula does this in the middle of the night without you, thus it's
not a big deal.  The 1/2 height LTO-3 drive that's inside my Superloader
3 is not as fast as the full height one in our HP MSL6030, but it was is
also much less expensive.  I had the Superloader 3 doing backups of
~50MB/sec vs ~90MB/sec with the HP.   For the most part this is faster
than many of our disks will stream the data.

The mail slot issue is anonoying but shouldn't be a show stopper.   It
is just used for removing a tape for off site storage.   With most
libraries you can use mtx to kick the off site tape to the mail slot,
then have bacula "update slots drive=0 barcode".  Without mtx you will
have to think some more as you wil have to do this by your self.  Pick
the tape and ejected it via the webpage or the front panel then update
the bacula inventory.

The library has an Ethernet port and an embedded web server.  The
embedded web server lets you see what's going on with the library
configure the auto cleaning and you can use it to eject a tape to the
mail slot.
                                -Jason

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 14:59 -0800, Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
>
> This is my first post and I am trying not to ask something stupid. But
> nevertheless please be patient :-)
>
> I am working on a backup-concept for smaller (5-15 head) companies. I have
> successfully set up a low-power mini-ITX appliance running CentOS 5 and
> Bacula 2.2.6
> As I still (to some degree) like tape (this is discussed elsewhere), I like
> to add an entry range tape-library to the setup.
> I am thinking of a Quantum SuperLoader 3 DLTv4 (which except for the reader
> itself seems to be the same as the LTO-3 one.).
>
> As I understand the mailslot cannot be ejected by bacula itself. Jason
> wrote, that it can be ejected manually via the front panel or via web
> interface.
> What I need to know is:
> Even if I cannot eject the mail slot with bacula, will it still be able to
> write to that tape? Which web interface are you talking of? The bacula-web
> interface or does the library itself come with some kind of web interface?
>
> I do need the mail slot as my boss wants to have one tape to be taken away
> to the vault every week.
>
> If I can't do this with the Quantum library, maybe someone could recommend
> another auto changer from that region that is proved to work?
>
> Any hint would be appreciated
> Best regards, Nils
>

> Jason A. Kates wrote:
> >
> > This tape drive works with bacula, but the mail slot is only usable via
> > the web interface, not controllable via the scsi interface at all.  You
> > will have to use the web interface or the front panel to eject tapes.
> >
> >                     -Jason
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 09:55 -0500, Miguel Angel wrote:
> >> Hi list!
> >>
> >> I am interested in buy a tape device Quantum LTO-3 Superloader 3. Is
> >> anyone using this device with Bacula?
> >>
> >> Thanks

Jason A. Kates ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Fax:    208-975-1514