I finished installing bacula from source today on a fresh os install.
I started postgresql and then started the bacula install

Next, I configured bacula-2.2.7 for postgres and installed it from source:

./configure --with-postgresql
make
make install

steps I found that all the scripts are placed in /etc/bacula

bacula-ctl-dir

is for the director

You can call it with the following params: start, stop, restart or status

After that my first test was to try to start bacula right away with
the debug output turned on and without using the 3 scripts to create
the postgresql catalog database or editing the bacula-dir.conf file so
I knew it would fail:

 # bacula-dir -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf -d100
bacula-dir: dird.c:156-0 Debug level = 100
bacula-dir: bsys.c:566-0 Could not open state file. sfd=-1 size=192:
ERR=No such file or directory
bacula-dir: postgresql.c:103-0 db_open first time
livecd bacula # bacula-dir: postgresql.c:194-0 pg_real_connect done
bacula-dir: postgresql.c:196-0 db_user=bacula db_name=bacula db_password=
bacula-dir: dird.c:875 Could not open Catalog "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
bacula-dir: dird.c:880 postgresql.c:202 Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server.
Database=bacula User=bacula
It is probably not running or your password is incorrect.
28-Jan 18:00 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf

NOTE, it took 3 minutes for the full output to be displayed.

Can you run that same command and post the output? Remember to wait a
few minutes to get the whole error message.

John