Thanks Dan :)

Dan Langille wrote:
If bconsole is not working, you're not likely to get bwx-console working either. Start with bconsole first. Walk first, so to speak.

Tell us what happens with bconsole, and show us your bconsole.conf.

My bwx and bconsole confs are identical:

=============
Director {
 Name = MACHINE1-dir
 DIRport = xxx1
 address = x.x.x.x
 Password = "PASSWD"
}
=========

I think I confused you when I said I can not get the $ prompt. I normally use Bconsole, and do prefer it in fact. The reason I use BWX for the restore is so I can use its' directory tree, which makes finding files alot easier to find in a hurry.

I understand what you mean about 'walking first'. My conflict is that the user guide says that I should be able to browse through the directories in Bconsoles' restore mode when I get to a $-Prompt, but I can not seem to find this prompt. I have pasted the Bconsole printout for my progress as far as I can get:

Connecting to Director x.x.x.x:xxx1
1000 OK: eMACHINE1-dir Version: 2.2.7 (24 December 2007)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
**restore*
The defined Catalog resources are:
    1: MACHINE1
Select Catalog resource (1-9): *1*
Using Catalog "MACHINE1"

First you select one or more JobIds that contain files
to be restored. You will be presented several methods
of specifying the JobIds. Then you will be allowed to
select which files from those JobIds are to be restored.

To select the JobIds, you have the following choices:
    1: List last 20 Jobs run
    2: List Jobs where a given File is saved
    3: Enter list of comma separated JobIds to select
    4: Enter SQL list command
    5: Select the most recent backup for a client
    6: Select backup for a client before a specified time
    7: Enter a list of files to restore
    8: Enter a list of files to restore before a specified time
    9: Find the JobIds of the most recent backup for a client
   10: Find the JobIds for a backup for a client before a specified time
   11: Enter a list of directories to restore for found JobIds
   12: Cancel
Select item:  (1-12): *11*
Enter JobId(s), comma separated, to restore: *42*
Defined Clients:
    1: MACHINE1
Select the Client (1-9): *1*
Enter full directory names or start the name
with a < to indicate it is a filename containing a list
of directories and terminate them with a blank line.
Enter directory name: *C:/DIRECTORY*
No database record found for: C:/DIRECTORY/
Enter directory name: *DIRECTORY*
No database record found for: DIRECTORY
Enter directory name: *\C*
No database record found for: \C/
Enter directory name: */C*
No database record found for: C/

This is a small sample of the number of variations I can think of, what am I missing? Is somthgin not connecting? Or am I not formatting my queries correctly?

Thanks again for your help

Dan

The storage is perfectly available as I have been running incremental backups all day, but after selecting the restore config options and files in the bwx-console Restore tab, I click 'Apply' and the status bar posts "Failed to find the selected storage".

 Can anyone please suggest why could this be?

Thanks
Dan :)

my .bsr, as generated by bwx:
====================
Volume="MACHINE1-0001"
MediaType="File"
Device="FileStorage"
VolSessionId=1
VolSessionTime=1202248202
VolFile=0
VolBlock=229-999936205
FileIndex=1
Count=1

A selection of items from my dir.conf
====================
Director{
Name                    =        MACHINE1-dir
DIRport                    =        xxx1
QueryFile = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\bin\\query.sql" WorkingDirectory = "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Bacula\\Work\\" PidDirectory = "C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Bacula\\Work\\"
Maximum Concurrent Jobs    =        1
Password                =        "PASSWD"
Messages                =        Daemon
}
Storage    {
Name                    =        MACHINE1-sd
Address                    =        MACHINE1
SDPort                    =        xxx2
Password                =        "PASSWD"
Device                    =        FileStorage
Media Type                =        File
}

Client     {
Name                    =        MACHINE1
Address                    =        x.x.x.x
FDPort                    =        xxx3
Catalog                    =        MACHINE1
Password                =        "PASSWD"
}
Catalog    {
Name                    =        MACHINE1
DB Address                =        x.x.x.x
dbname = bacula; user = bacula; password = "PASSWD"
}
Pool    {
Name                    =        MACHINE1
Label Format            =        "MACHINE1-"
Pool Type                =        Backup
Volume Retention        =        2555 days #7 years
AutoPrune                =        yes
}
FileSet    {
Name                    =        MACHINE1
Enable VSS                =        yes
Include                    {        Options    {
Signature            =        MD5
verify                =        pins5
checkfilechanges    =        yes
ignore case            =        yes
portable            =        yes
} File = "C:\\Apache2\\conf\\extra"
File                    =        "E:\\backup\\bacula-database"   }
}
Job        {
Name                    =        "MACHINE1-Restore"
Type                    =        Restore
Client                    =        MACHINE1
FileSet                    =        MACHINE1
Storage                    =        MACHINE-sd
Pool                    =        MACHINE1
Messages                =        Standard
Where                    =        "E:\\backup\\restored-files\\MACHINE1
}