Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 16.02.2008 22:38, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having too much trouble with arghserver ...
>> nothing work with this.
>
> Care to share some details? That's always interesting to me :-)
All server (9 to be precise) were in a total mess (no software update, no
hardware update and an incredible mess with AD and so)
There's no administrator inside. And the last backup date from June 2007.

Arcserve is the 9.0 version without patches (but after applying SP1 and SP2)
the trouble is the same.
Jobs crash ( it write some data local or from agent ) The server was setted to
restart a job crash and last night is gently run
over space on the disk backup (500Go). I've disable the restart job after crash.

>> But customer need some backup. And yes i've not budget nor time to install a
>> real new backup server with bacula under
>> a more secure and stable plateform like some *nix :-)
>>
>> Here's there around somebodies which successfully have use bacula
>> dir,storage,fd,console under the windows 2003 server with SP2 ?
>> I know that it shouldn't be considered as production, but actually there's
>> absolutely no backup at all. So a pre-prod state is
>> suffisant anyway. The backup would goes onto a soft-windows-raid partition.
>> No need to manage a tape or library.
>
> I think Bacula should be worth a try. As far as I know, all components
> should work, though I don't operate a windows Bacula server.
Yes afterall, bacula is bacula : just solid as a rock !
I think that would be my only temporary solution to have some backups running
before migration and transfer.

>> I'll have a look at the wiki to see if there's some contribution about
>> saving an exchange 2007 server, a MS-Sql 07 server, an
>> Oracle 8i server, a Microsoft Navision ERP server ....
>
> Not really simple but doable, in a limited way. You'll use the
> vendor-supplied tools to create database dumps and backup those.
> Incrementals and the like can be a bit of a headache, but with careful
> planning and a good understanding of the needed recovery procedures
> those should be possible, too.

I've seen some interesting advise on the wiki, about VSS snapshots ... They
would do the job for the Exchange.
Navision seem to export correctly it's backup ...
The two others I don't know and I suspect customer doesn't know too :-))

>> Yes I know what a mess ...
>>
>> I really hope that in somes month we have all of this virtualized a that we
>> can take simple snapshots which would be archived by
>> bacula.
>>
>> Any suggestion are welcome.
>
> As a last resort, you could always run a vmware server with a
> virtualized linux, backing up to a smb mounted share of the host
> machine. This will not be the best idea reagarding performance, but
> should be stable enough.

Ok that's could be a another possibility. With the vmware you could also write
directly on disk if you enable local share.

> Hope you get them converted to Bacula :-)
>
> Arno

As I'm a fervent bacula "apôtre" and if they want their data to be safe, I
couldn't imagine an other way ;-)
Sure they would converted.

So going to sleep some hours. I'll keep the list inform about the result.

--

     Bruno Friedmann  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ioda-Net Sàrl   - www.ioda-net.ch
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland