I stand corrected... It seems the data rate matching in LTO-3 drives
isn't as flexible as I'd have thought... One interesting thing to note
in the doc you mentioned is that if you think you may be shoe-shining,
try backing up onto an LTO-2 tape as this will run the drive at native
LTO-2 speeds rather than at the much higher data throughput of LTO-3.

    Bob