Dear Bacula Users,

I have had an occasional, long-running problem with bacula.  Every now and
then, when I am trying to restore a file from tape, I find that the tape
has apparently corrupted.

The symptoms vary - sometimes there is an error at some point through the
tape, and sometimes (suspiciously often) it seems to have lost the bacula
label right at the start.  These tapes were new, and the rate of these
errors is far higher than I can attribute to bad tape manufacture, etc.

These tapes spend most of their time write-protected and out of the
library, so I am assuming that whatever it was, happened when the tapes
were first in the drive and being written.

Is this a known bug?  Is there some sort of condition that led to
currently loaded tapes being written at the wrong position, for example?
Caused by a reboot or power-cycling the drive?

This system has had a history of problems, particularly scsi problems.
Bacula: 2.4.2 (built from source); upgraded a couple of times from older
versions, eg. bacula-mysql-2.4.0-1 (rpm) and 2.0.3 before that.
I use bacula to back up a small number (1000s) of large files (common size
of about 50GB)

Secondly, if a small section at the start of a tape is bad, is there any
way to recover parts of data from later in the tape?  Something along the
lines of:
mt fsf 10
dd if=
...feed files through bacula s/w...?

I really need this data, if it is at all possible to get it back.

Thanks for any assistance,

Glen

--
Glen Davison                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SIRCA Pty Ltd                      Ph (02) 9236 9133