On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:20:34AM +0200, Christian Gaul wrote:
> Bob Hetzel schrieb:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I've been seeing an issue whereby a volume gets marked in error
> > periodically.  The last items logged about that volume are typically like
> > this:
> >
> > 02-Jun 11:53 gyrus-sd JobId 83311: Volume "LTO224L2" previously written,
> > moving to end of data.
> > 02-Jun 11:53 gyrus-sd JobId 83311: Error: Bacula cannot write on tape
> > Volume "LTO224L2" because:
> > The number of files mismatch! Volume=46 Catalog=45
> > 02-Jun 11:53 gyrus-sd JobId 83311: Marking Volume "LTO224L2" in Error in
> > Catalog.
> >
> > I don't think I have any SCSI errors, but instead the problem seems to be
> > related to bacula not properly keeping track of the volume files in some
> > rare case.
> >
> > This time the problem happened not too long after the volume got recycled
> > and so I noted one thing about how the tape was used... a backup started on
> > another volume and then spanned onto it.  Could that be a source of these
> > problems?
> >
> > Here's the pertinent part of the bacula log file--debugging not turned on
> > right now but I'm hoping enough got logged to help.  If not I'll have to
> > turn debugging back on but what level would be good for determining the
> > source of that error?
> >
> > http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/bacula/bacula-2009-06-01.log.txt
> >
> >     Bob
> >

> To me this looks like an issue reported a couple of times on this list,
> once by me and once by another user, whereby Bacula isnt updating the
> Volume Files when doing concurrent jobs.
>
> So far nobody has seemed interested in it. For me and another user it
> has "worked" to set the maximum concurrent jobs to 1 on the device..
> Yes, you will have jobs piling on for hours until they get worked off.
>
> I witnessed this first after upgrading from 2.4.4 to 3.0.0 but have not
> been able to track it down myself or i would have made a proper
> bugreport for it..
>
> Hope that helps a little

Hi,

we're running bacula 2.2.8, using concurrent jobs = 2 on a disk based
set of volumes. I've done several restores from those volumes without
any errors, and haven't seen the error you mention in a good 3 months
or so since having switched from concurrent jobs = 1 to " = 2", so I'd
consider this a "positive" report that the feature actually does
work. The problem bug may have been introduced in a later version of
bacula.

All the best,

Uwe

--
uwe.schuerk...@nionex.net phone: [+49] 5242.91 - 4740, fax:-69 72
Hauptsitz: Avenwedder Str. 55, D-33311 Guetersloh, Germany