Ah HAH! The old "I just upgraded to bacula 3.03 this morning" mistake. The
problem here could be what happened to me. The database needs to be bounced.
Yes, indexes dropped and re-init-ed. It was a few moons ago and I forget
what exactly I did. Horribly slow backups  and they NEVER finished and
no-one on the list could figure it out. I did the batch thing and pulled my
hair out. Until I just happen to bounce PostgreSQL db and voila everything
started working.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL:
a.  I do know I re-init-ed the indexes - I had to dump and reload the
database and I re-init-ed it in the process.
b.  This is a delicate process and I played with it for many weeks.

Mehma