Fred,

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:23 AM, FredNF <f...@nfrance.com> wrote:

> Le Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:18:37 +0100,
> Henrik Johansen <hen...@myunix.dk> a écrit :
>
> > The bulk of Bacula's DB operations are purely disk IOPS bound so I
> > would argue that IOPS is way more important than RAM.
> >
> > > With the others advices I had, I'm planning to have a dual Xeon
> > > Nehalem, with 8 ou 12 GB of RAM, and four 300 GB SAS disks in RAID
> > > 10. Not sure about the OS, I'm balancing between FreeBSD and Gentoo.
> > >
> > > But, if someone here have a similar setup, I'm ready to hear his
> > > advices and tips about my configuration.
> >
> > We are currently planning a large Bacula deployment (~1k machines) so
> > I have been facing many of the same challenges.
> >
> > Regardless of whatever database you choose you'll need enough disk
> > IOPS to service the DB and I don't think that 4 x 300 GB SAS are
> > sufficient.
> >
> > A 4 disk RAID10 will give you the write IOPS equivalent to 2 disks
> > and the DB is most likely going to do synchronous random writes which
> > in turn is 100% disk IOPS bound.
> >
> > Find the tech specs of the disks you are using - they should give you
> > an indication of how many random write IOPS they can handle.
>
> I will do some bonnie++ tests :)
>
> > Additionally, you should align your FS to the same blocksize as your
> > database - 8K for postgresql if I remember correctly. It you are
> > using a fixed blocksize FS where the blocksize is lower than the DB
> > blocksize you could end up in a siutation where one DB operation is
> > causing 2 or more disk IOPS.
>
> Right, we never see the problem on this side. The filestem used for the
> director can be:
>
>        - if FreeBSD FFS or ZFS (ZFS is nice supported with FreeBSD 8)
>        - if Gentoo or Linux Distro, ext4
>
> In the same way, what FS do you, on the list, prefer for storage ? We
> don't use tape, only disk storage. The first who talk of NTFS will need
> to avoid my curses for generations.edk
>

> > We backup ~35TB each week in a 3 week rotation so we just have to
> > scale out in order to meet our demands and we are planning to go
> > multi-DIR, multi-SD with a couple of very hefty MySQL servers to
> > service them.
> >
> > Directors will run Linux and both our SD's and MySQL servers will run
> > Solaris.
>
> So, you plan to have dedicated databases servers, having a lightweigh
> director but huge database servers ?
>
> And, if Solaris on the SD, you'll surely use ZFS ?
>
> > The only place where we scale up instead of our are our SD's -
> > currently our 3 SD nodes have access to 300+ disks and 2 dedicated 10
> > Gbit fiber links.
>
> Wow.. Tht's really impressive. I'd like to have enough money for
> building such system. But, that's not and we'll use hand-made NAS with
> poor inexpensive SATA disk ;)
>
> Right, the lowly inexpensive Coraid AOE SATA arrays are DUAL 10 GB capable
with a $1K HBA. It's a simpler setup than Fiber Channel and they claim,
faster. I don't work for the company but have one of their 15-bay unit.

> > > I'm freaking out about the configs files :) They'll be really huge I
> > > think.
>
> If your filesets are standardized, which they should be else you'll go
crazy, you can simplify your task. I have a directory /../.../etc/conf.d
where I put filesets.conf, schedules.conf, clients.conf and the like. I can
see schedules and clients being large. The documentation has some
suggestions - that's where I picked up my design:
http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=sample_configs

I was looking for includes. But, If I read well the documentation, I
> can't specify a directory for includes. I need to give the full path
> for each file ? Right ?
>
> From:
http://bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001680000000000000000

FileSet {