Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. I am actually looking for anyone
who has tried it or someone who has thought about trying it and dropped the
idea.

I understand 10 instances is very small - but I am not contemplating huge
files either. Is the transfer latency something like filesize/number of
nodes?

Bacula can dump a daily differential and Bittorrent can take it from there.
Databases will be more problematic.

DRBD assumes, atleast that's what Google says, stable, decent bandwidth. My
design takes network cutting out on a daily basis into account. We are
talking the US postal service kind of a backup. It should work under adverse
situations.

I also want to be able to plug another unit in and have it start backing up
without any twiddling. I have been there on the rsync front and it is
reliable and simple. I just think if a cleaning person bumps the power cord
and then plugs it back in (at night) that the machine should right itself. I
know it can be done with scripts and rsync. Why invent and maintain
something when p2p apps have solved the problem already?

For some reason, I still think Bittorrent could be a winner in the set it
and forget it backup arena. Technically, this is not really a backup, it is
actually backing up a backup. A poor man's disaster planning.

To be clear, here is the amount of work I am willing to do with this
technology:
a.  Get the hardware and connection installed
b.  Configure encrypted transfers among a limited number of nodes
c.  Configure the master directories which needs to be backed up for 3x
redundancy

THAT'S IT - any more work is getting into fiddling.

Mehma
===