On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Matija Nalis wrote:

> have you perhaps succeded in transition from MySQL to PostgreSQL for
> bacula ?

Eventually...

> An update to the documentation (or your explanation about problems
> and what you did) would be greately appreciated, as we're also being
> pinned down with extreme MySQL slowdowns in 5.0.x (bacula bug 1472)
> and must move to PostgreSQL without losing catalog data (or die
> trying, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible :)

The single biggest problem is that mysql's "compatible" dumps contain "
characters, which cause an exact match in postgres on inserts. The way to
fix that is " perl -pi.bak s/\"/\'/g "

I spent a lot of time and effort case smashing the inserts, but changing
the character works better.

The other thing you need to do is tune postgres. There are a couple of
perversities - #1 is that if vaccuum is slow, you need to run it more
often and #2 is that if you assign too much memory to the engine it can
die on lack of memory errors for large inserts as it won't try to use
system ram.

AB