> From: taisgeal <bacula-fo...@backupcentral.com>
> Subject: [Bacula-users]  Automatic Eject tape once job finishes
> To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>

> Hello,
>
> I have read and reread dozens of threads on this board and at this stage am
> at my wit's end. I would really appreciate any help that anyone could give me.
>
> My setup is as follows :
>
> bacula 5.0.1 running on a Debian Lenny server(server1)Bacula
> MSL 6000 LTO autochanger with 30 slots and one drive on a separate Debian
> Lenny server(server2)
> various Linux clients
>
> Everything works and overall, I am very impressed with Bacula. It is very
> fast, very stable and has not let me down. It performs better and is much
> more flexible than a number of commercial products that I have used in the
> past.
>
> However, for the life of me, I cannot see how to move a tape from the MSL
> 6000 drive back to the slot from which it was taken, once the backup job is
> finished. This is not a problem for me during the week. However, I change my
> tapes every Friday and I have to stop the bacula-sd daemon on server2 and
> then manually move it using the front panel on the MSL 6000. After that, I
> start up the bacula-sd daemon again on server2 and I am back in business. i
> never have to go anywhere near server1.
>
> I am going on holidays soon and need to change this, such that all tapes are
> back in their slots, so that my holiday cover doesn't have to log into
> server2 at all.
>
> I have tried the "Unmount on offline" directive, but that just seems to lock
> up the drive itself.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

The "release" command is probably the manual command you want, but if you
do this every day you'll have less likelihood of something like a power
failure during the time you're not doing any backups or restores messing up
a tape or tape drive.

At the end of every day's backups I have a job to backup the catalog.

In that job it runs "make_catalog_backup" as a RunBeforeJob.  As a
RunAfterJob it runs a command to copy the catalog file and configs to
another server.  Inside that script I added

echo release drive=2 |/opt/bacula/bin/bconsole
echo release drive=1 |/opt/bacula/bin/bconsole
echo release drive=0 |/opt/bacula/bin/bconsole