I'm very sorry to hear that.  Thanks for the info!

Davin

At 04:55 PM 11/7/2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:
On 11/07/10 17:34, Davin Church wrote:
> I'm running WinXP and trying to set up a test backup to a DVD-R using
> Bacula/Win 3.0.3a (the latest precompiled Win version I could
> find).  Most things seem to be running, but I'm having a device
> problem with my DVD writer.  Perhaps someone could help me figure out
> what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Here's my Storage:Device resource:
> Device {
>       Name = "test1"
>       Archive Device = "E:"
>       Device Type = DVD
>       Media Type = "DVD"
>       Always Open = No
>       Removable Media = Yes
>       Random Access = Yes
>       Requires Mount = No
>       Mount Point = "E:"
>       Mount Command = ""
>       Unmount Command = ""
>       Write Part Command = "C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\Bacula\\bin\\dvd-handler %a
> write %e %v"
>       Free Space Command = "C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\Bacula\\bin\\dvd-handler %a free"
> }
>
> * The Storage Daemon status report tells me:
> Device status:
> Device "test1" (E:) is not open.
>
> * Using the Console to try to LABEL a fresh DVD-R results in:
> Sending label command for Volume "test1" Slot 0 ...
> Jmsg Job=*System* type=3 level=1289168640 hubble-sd: Fatal Error at
> /home/kern/bacula/k/bacula/src/stored/dev.c:625 because:
> The DVD in device "test1" (E:) contains data, please blank it before writing.
> 3910 Unable to open device "test1" (E:): ERR=The DVD in device
> "test1" (E:) contains data, please blank it before writing.
> Label command failed for Volume test1.
>
> * Changing Archive Device to CDRom1 doesn't help.
> * Changing Always Open to Yes doesn't affect anything.
> * Changing Requires Mount to Yes keeps SD from starting.
> * Changing the Mount Point to "E:/" or "E:\\" doesn't affect anything.
> * Trying to Mount the device gives a "success" message, but doesn't
> change anything.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas about what I might be able to try?
>
> Davin

Davin,
The DVD writing code in bacula proved to be both unreliable and
unmaintainable, has been deprecated in the last several major releases,
and is planned to be removed shortly.  The currently recommended method
of backing up to DVD with bacula is to back up to DVD-sized (4.7GB, or
8.5GB for dual-layer) disk volumes, then burn the volumes to DVD as a
separate operation using external CD burning software.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  ala...@caerllewys.net   ala...@metrocast.net   p...@co.ordinate.org

http://p.sf.net/sfu/SAP-dev2dev