(sorry for potential repeat: Sent from a non-subscribed address previously)

Hello,

I've been wrestling with configuration of a filesystem based
autochanger, aka the 'disk-changer' script.

I've made some progress, but have hit a point where I believe a bug in
the core sd libraries (specifically around src/stored/dev.c:549) is
stopping me from going further.

First of all, I have a regular, non-autochanger device working just
great. I can successfully label volumes and use them.

I then got the basic autochanger code working, by reading the script,
and figuring out that most of the examples to use it are now "wrong".
This is because for media type=files, the "Device" clause expects a
reference to a directory, for the "Archive Device".

however, disk changer in argument 4.. what IT calls "archive
device"... expects a reference to a fake filename.
So instead of the old syntax,
Changer Command = "disk-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

it now seems one must use

Changer Command = "disk-changer %c %o %S %a/drive%d %d %v"

All well and good. IF, I label new volumes through my "regular"
Device.. except that that leaves the new volume in "slot 0".
Which means I then need to enter them into the fake autoloader system
"by hand" , and then run the bconsole "update" command. Yuck!

Problem is when I attempt to label through the autochanger dev, I get:

Sending label command for Volume "EIMD1VOL003" Slot 5 ...
3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot 4, drive 0" command.
3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 5, drive 0" command.
3305 Autochanger "load slot 5, drive 0", status is OK.
3910 Unable to open device "FileStorage0" (/Bacula/ei-md1-sd):
ERR=dev.c:549 Could not open: /Bacula/ei-md1-sd, ERR=Is a directory

Umm.. yes, that should be OKAY, for  Media Type=File. In fact, it
should be expected, Right?!

it seems like there is some kind of overly zealous check in the
labelling code that kicks in, and disallows labelling File type media
if it is marked as within an autochanger.
Could someone please either help undo that check, or tell me some
magic config to change?

Here are the relevant snippets from bacula-sd.conf
Autochanger {
  Name = DiskVTL
  Device = FileStorage0,FileStorage1
  Changer Device = /var/local/etc/bacula/disk-changer.conf
 Changer Command="/var/local/etc/bacula/disk-changer %c %o %S %a/drive%d %d %v"
}
Device {
  Name = FileStorage0
  Autochanger = Yes
  Drive Index = 0
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /Bacula/ei-md1-sd
  LabelMedia = yes;
  Random Access = Yes;
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
}

# (FileStorage1 is same, with index=1)
#Below is the NON-autochanger, which works Just Fine

Device {
  Name = EiMd1Labeller
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /Bacula/ei-md1-sd