Hi Everyone,

I am a somewhat long time bacula user.  Currently I'm deploying a SpectraLogic
T50e on a Solaris box.  My current setup is a LTO 3 drive on a Linux system.
Mostly this has gone okay.    I'm just finishing up some test backups.   I was
originally a bit concerned because while the tape test did fine, the fill
portion of the test failed.   I stopped it after several days when btape
claimed it had written 8 TB on to the tape.   I'm now finishing my first tape
which has about  2.4 TB on it.  This is same amount that tar put on the tape
when it reached end-of-file.   Should I worry about the fill problem?

The other issue is mostly a nuisance.  When I start up bacula, I get errors
like this:

eb 14 18:47:23 darwin scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci111d,806e@0/pci111d,806e@4/pci1000,3150@0/st@0,0
(st14):
Feb 14 18:47:23 darwin  Error for Command: rezero/rewind           Error Level:
Fatal
Feb 14 18:47:23 darwin scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]    Requested Block: 0
                   Error Block: 0
Feb 14 18:47:23 darwin scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]    Vendor: IBM
                   Serial Number:   j
Feb 14 18:47:23 darwin scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]    Sense Key: Not Ready
Feb 14 18:47:23 darwin scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]    ASC: 0x3a (medium not
present), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x30

I can just have my log watch software ignore this, or just write a mental note
to ignore them.   But I was just wondering if is possible to stop this?   It
doesn't happen if a tape is in the drive, but I don't want to load a tape
without knowing that it is about to get ejected because it's full, or otherwise
not acceptable.  I'd also be interested in any other storage daemon options
that people have used here.

Hmm,  in the time that this is sat in my drafts folder, I have gotten my 2nd
tape full, and I see this from Bacula:

17-Feb 05:57 darwin-sd JobId 9: End of Volume "034541L5" at 1837:0 on device
"Drive-1" (
17-Feb 05:57 darwin-sd JobId 9: Error: Backspace record at EOT failed. ERR=I/O
error
17-Feb 05:57 darwin-sd JobId 9: End of medium on Volume "034541L5"
Bytes=1,836,358,272,0

with no corresponding entries in either dmesg or /var/adm/messages.

One last thing I would like to do before pronouncing this as ready to go is
some test restores.   Is there a way to have bacula tell me, or to query the
database for a selection of files that are located at the beginning and end of
each tape in the backup?    If I have to type SQL code, and muck around in the
database that is okay.  I was just wondering if someone that knows more about
the schema can confirm whether or not it is possible.  If so, could you outline
the process?

My bacula-sd.conf contains this:

Autochanger {
  Name = SpectraLogic
  Device = Drive-1
  Changer Command = "/usr/local/etc/bacula503/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/scsi/changer/c6t22110090A5003EA0d1
}

Device {
          Name = Drive-1                      #
          Archive Device = /dev/rmt/1ubn

        # Properties
        Device Type = Tape
        Media Type = LTO5
        AutoChanger = yes
        Drive Index = 0
        RemovableMedia = yes;

        Drive Index = 0
        AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
        AlwaysOpen = yes;
        RandomAccess = no;
}