On 2/16/11 9:30 PM, Vancho Gjeorgjievski wrote:

Hi guys,

My name is Vancho, I work as a system engineer for small software company located in Australia. The company I work for has 15 business critical servers, based on Microsoft platform, which I manage on daily basis, and one of the key ITSM services I provide is Backup Management. We’re not satisfied with Windows Backup features and performance, so we decided to replace it with Bacula. I read a lot about this software and I found it to be quite in compliance with our company’s requirements. Currently I’m preparing detailed design for the Bacula deployment, and at the moment I’m facing difficulties selecting the appropriate hardware for Bacula to run on. In the Bacula documentation I couldn’t find the section that points to the minimal or the optimal hardware requirements.

So I thought to ask you to help me with my trouble, could you please recommend which hardware would be most suitable for my environment? The spread sheet contains the servers that consist our server farm. Thanks in front! J

Server

Role

OS

Processor

RAM

HDD

Network

vartry

DC

Windows Server 2008 x86

_2xXeon@2.7GHz <mailto:2xXeon@2.7GHz>_

3GB

40 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

ryex2010svr01

Exchange server 2010

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

_2xXeon@3.6GHz <mailto:2xXeon@3.6GHz>_

4GB

150 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

ulster

CRM

Windows Server 2008 x86

_2xXeon@2.8GHz <mailto:2xXeon@2.8GHz>_

2GB

70 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

galway

Management server

Windows Server 2003 x86

_8xXeon@2.8GHz <mailto:8xXeon@2.8GHz>_

4GB

200 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

croanbane

SQL Server 2005 / 2008

Windows Server 2003 x86

_4xXeon@3GHz <mailto:4xXeon@3GHz>_

3GB

200 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

shannon

Sharepoint server

Windows Server 2003 x86

_4xXeon@2.7GHz <mailto:4xXeon@2.7GHz>_

2GB

70 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

bellmount

TeamFoundation server / SQL server

Windows Server 2003 x86

_2xXeon@3GHz <mailto:2xXeon@3GHz>_

2GB

150 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

kilcoole

SMTP gateway

Windows Server 2003 x86

_P3@647MHz <mailto:P3@647MHz>_

128 MB

25 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

delgany

Web (IIS) server

Windows Server 2003 x86

_2xXeon@3GHz <mailto:2xXeon@3GHz>_

3GB

100 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

ms-isa

Gateway server / ISA Firewall

Windows Server 2003 x86

_4xXeon@3.4GHz <mailto:4xXeon@3.4GHz>_

4GB

300 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

antrim

Application Server

Windows Server 2003 x86

_2xXeon@3Ghz <mailto:2xXeon@3Ghz>_

2GB

200 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

luas

HyperV host

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

_4xi5@2.7GHz <mailto:4xi5@2.7GHz>_

8GB

2TB

100 Mbps Ethernet

kudos

Application Server

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

_2xXeon@3Ghz <mailto:2xXeon@3Ghz>_

2GB

200 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

lee

Sharepoint server

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

_2xXeon@3Ghz <mailto:2xXeon@3Ghz>_

2GB

200 GB

100 Mbps Ethernet

Vancho,

You have about 4 TB worth of drives and if you are saving 1/2 of that, your space needs are 2 TB + whatever scheme(retention, incremental, etc) you plan use. I'd get a Coraid.com AOE storage machine with a minimal, stable Linux server running bacula SD and DIR as the head - and about 4 GB of RAM. I'd populate it with enterprise drives no larger than 750 GB.

Why AOE ? - it is built-in into the Linux kernel and is simple, fast and stable technology. It will handle RAID and their 15-bay will be scalable. It has 3 PSUs for redundancy. It is fairly cheap and you can use whichever enterprise drives you want.

Mehma