On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:10:56 +0100, Jérôme Blion wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:36:45 +0100 (CET), Demeter Tibor wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any option in bacula for the tape space reclamation ? I
>> know
>> and use this option from Tivol storage manager.
>>
>> How can I "defragment" my tapes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tibor
>
> Basically, TSM keeps files as long as they are active. So you can
> have big holes in your tapes.
> That's not the way Bacula works. Bacula will expire files according
> to their retention. Once they have been expired, they will be backed
> up one

So... One more time...

Expiration processes does not work the same way between TSM and Bacula.
As long as a file is active (present on the client), it is not removed
from tapes (depending on versions count and so on..)
That means that, after some times, you will have less and less files on
each tape, and so, space reclamation will be needed to aggregate all
files.

Bacula stores each file, job, volume according to its retention. Once
this retention has been reached, files and jobs will be deleted (only in
the catalog, in fact). Once the volume retention has been reached, the
volume is purged and can be reused.
Bacula will try and fill oldest appendables tapes first in order to
free oldest tapes as soon as possible.

TSM uses permanent incremental, Bacula does not.
Backup times are much faster with TSM... Restore times are not !

HTH.
Jerome Blion.