Hi Kern.

Thank you for the information and here are some requests for more details :)

On 25.11.2013 18:49, Kern Sibbald wrote:
2. The Bareos fork of Bacula:

Unfortunately, despite the fact that Bareos hired one of the best German Open
Source lawyers , there were a number of serious copyright violations
with their code.

I guess mixing copyright and open source into one sentence makes several people quite confused, so can you clarify what are the issues? Is it, for instance, that Bareos wants to change license of the source code, but copyright holder does not permit it?

So as Bacula contributors and users, you would be within
your rights to feel very upset with Bareos, because they never
offered you the code they developed.

I have understood that all of their code is in Github. Isn't it so?

I assure that I will do all in my power to ensure that any
worthwhile features that Bareos implements will be implemented in
Bacula, and most likely better integrated and more robust, and where
possible with even more functionality and growth potential.

How would you do it? Would you port the features, possibly making the code better?
Or would you just code the features from scratch?

I'm sorry, but currently it seems there is some soap opera going on between these 2 projects and it is just sad to watch. I really do hope that it won't affect good ideas being spread between the 2 projects and also in the open etc.

3. Bacula Systems and the FSFE:

There are a number of points in the agreement, but probably the most
important of all is that Bacula Systems has now put in writing that it is
an Open Source company (at its heart), as it has always proclaimed, and will
contribute all the Enterprise code it creates to the Bacula Community code
base within at most a 5 year period.

So all the Bacula Enterprise features and plugins will ultimately be open sourced? Ie. we would see the delta plugin and vSphere plugin as open-source within 5 years counting from the point they were announced?

Does it also mean that these features, by worst case scenario, in the open source version will always be 5 years behind the Enterprise version? Do you have any features in mind that you would make open sourced within the shorter time-frame?

--
Silver