> Hello Radoslow,
>
> I was talking about the configurations of the bacula user that originated
> this thread. And I based my opinion on his pool configuration and list
> media output.

Well, in my very humble opinion there is no any evidence that RAT or
Dimitri is making Full everyday.

> I agree with you that some files are always backed up regardless of
> whether or not you are using a full backup job. And this is the case of
> virtual machine disk images.

You can always use a Delta plugin, Bacula GED(tm) or for VMware a Bacula
vSphere plugin to get an block level Incremental backup of virtual machine
images. You can save a lot of space in your archive. Delta and VSP is also
working with tapes.

In this case, IMHO there is a trade-off. Do I have enough space for keeping
> a 1 year retention backups of all my disk images?

Using above techniques you can have enough space for that. :)

> Is this really necessary for me?

Depends. Do you ever need to restore something older that 1 week ago? Do
you have any regulatory requirements (i.e. in my country there is a
requirement for financial data to be available for 5 years), etc.

I have seen solutions that have a weekly or monthly full backups for VM
> disk images and daily backup for the data partitions of the virtual
> machines that are susceptible of changes dieting the week/month.

Sounds to me like a tricky to manage.

> Also, the most cases I had seen that needs a
> Virtual machine disk image restore are:
>
> 1) disaster recover: in this case, the last backup is what we need. Having
> this backup in more than one place is preferable than having later ones.

Right. Then you can use a job replication (SD->SD Copy Jobs) and techniques
mentioned above for optimal performance.

> 2) updates and/or upgrades in the virtual machine configuration do not
> work: in this case we need a backup immediately before the changes were
> made. In this case we can take care of always having a full backup before
> doing any software changes in the virtual machine.

I do not understand what you mean. Sorry.

Finally, there is a large number of situations and in some of them maybe it
> could be necessary to have daily full backups. IMHO if we can avoid this,
> we can save space destined for backups.

Yes. I always perform a full backups daily for Bacula config and database
dump only. Simpler DR for Bacula itself. For every other Job I always make
Full+Incremental.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski