That's right!
Beside, I already get error and many troubles when decide use NFS to host
huge VM files...
I think this issues also apply it for backup.
Today, I prefer GlusterFS rater NFS....
GlusterFS can work like NFS as well and are more reliable than NFS, even
version 4....
I highly recommend avoid NFS and think about GlusterFS!... You will
appreciate work with GlusterFS because it easier like NFS and more robust
and reliable, stable and you will get the advance that GlusterFS is
'replicate ready' NetWork File System....

Regards

Gilberto Ferreira
+55 (47) 9676-7530
Skype: gilberto.nunes36