Hello Elias,

The catalog menu should expand if you configuration is correct.
Make sure the variable label has a non empty string (see example below)
$config[0]['label'] = 'Production server';

If you still have a problem, please open a bug report and attach your
configuration to it (hidding sensitive information please)

Regards

Davide