On 9/13/2017 11:33 PM, Thing wrote:
Hi,

I have a handful of small VMs I'd like to backup.  These can be stopped while the backup happens.  So what is the alternatoves to do this?

Get bacula to send shutdown command(s) and then back the image(s) up?

That really depends on what needs to be restored and when. If you don't anticipate a need for restoring files and folders on a running VM, then the VM's backing storage can be backed up from the host. Rather than shutting down the VM, this can be done with LVM snapshots in many cases. If you do anticipate a need to restore files and folders to a running VM, then install the Bacula client on the VM and back up the VM's files as you would a physical server.