On Monday 2017-11-20 17:17:50 Bill Arlofski wrote:
> Hello Josip,
>
> Yes, I think you are correct about this.
>
> I just checked on my Proxmox system (uses KVM for the hypervisor), and I
> see that when a VM is snapshotted, there is no additional disk snapshot
> file created.
>
> I had been remembering a script I wrote for Xen hypervisor VMs where I
> would first snapshot the VM, then, if that succeeded, there is a
> command to export the VM like:
>
> xe vm-export vm=snapshotID filename=someFileName
>
> And then my FileSet would point to the directory where these
> snapshotted/exported VMs were written to.
>

> On my Proxmox system, the qm command (the Qemu/KVM Virtual Machine
> Manager) has "snapshot" and "delsnapshot" commands, but does not seem
> to have a similar "vm-export" command to export the snapshotted VM to a
> dir where it may be backed up from.
>
> So, it would appear that if "image" backups of KVM VMs are desired, then
> the RunsWhen=before script would need to trigger a VM shutdown, and
> then the RunsWhen=after script would need to restart the VM.
>
> Not the most desirable way to backup VMs, to be sure. :(
>
> Thanks for your comment!

Thank you for testing it.

There are ways to access files inside the image of a virtual
machine without shutting down the virtual machine.

E.g. libguestfs. It might be helpful here but I would still
go with the normal bacula-fd if possible.

It requires some testing but I am convinced that bacula's
file daemon would be faster than the process that reads
files in the image using the libguestfs library.

--
Josip Deanovic