Is anyone else running Bacula 9.0.6 on Gentoo Linux on the Gentoo 17.0
system-wide-PIE profile?

I just ran my first full backup to tape since migrating all my Gentoo
boxes to the 17.0 profile, and every job took at least twice as long to
run as the previous Full backup cycle, most taking three to five times
as long and one taking 13 times as long.  The only job not to see a
significant slowdown was my Catalog backup.  I have four clients running
a total of six jobs, with a total backup size approximately 1.4TB to an
LTO4 SAS tape drive.  Generally it seems the fewer and larger the
individual files in each job, the less it was impacted.  The job that
ran only 2x longer was the 1.3TB job that backs up the 12TB NAS (which,
by the way, is not Gentoo; it's a Sun X4540 running Solaris 11.3).  The
OS backup itself for that host was five times slower despite no OS
changes and its Bacula client not having been recompiled.

The bottleneck APPEARS to me to be between the Storage and the tape
drive, but I cannot be certain yet.

I would be interested to know if anyone else who has just switched
clients and/or servers to Gentoo 17.0 has experienced the same drastic
drop in Bacula throughput.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications