> On Aug 28, 2018, at 2:54 AM, Chris Wilkinson <winstonia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One of my requirements for backups is that the last version of every file
> should remain in the backup storage indefinitely or at least for a long time.
>
> Could I achieve this by writing "File Retention = 10 years" in the pool or
> client definition?

Yes. But you'll also need Volume and Job retention also set to 10 years if you
want to easily restore that data.

This will keep all records, not just the latest.

Yes, this will use more database records, but my view is that this is a cheap
price to pay.

Also, as mentioned by others, does this requirement mean that a file deleted 6
years ago needs to be kept for another 4 years?

You'll need to clarify that 10 years meets the "indefinitely" requirement.

Given the originally stated requirements, it seems your only solution is not to
ever recycle volumes or allow the Catalog to be pruned.

> My concern is that, if this is possible, then it would stop automatic volume
> truncation and recycling and eventually result in out of space storage errors.

Yes, you need to have enough storage.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
d...@langille.org