I use CIFS to mount 2 dissimilar NAS's on the DIR/FD/SD host. One is the
source, the other is the backup destination. It works just fine. I didn't
attempt to put the FD or SD on them natively since they are locked down
OS's.

I took the precaution of mounting the source read only.

I suppose NFS would work too but since I had CIFS mounts for other reasons
it seemed sensible to use that.

Regards
Chris Wilkinson