On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:47:32 -0500
Josh Fisher <jfis...@pvct.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/2018 5:38 AM, Peter Milesson wrote:
> > Hi Markus,
> >
> > I know my suggestion isn't concerning autoloaders, but it's a safe and
> > working alternative to tapes (and all the hassles).
> >
> > I setup a dedicated backup station with 13TB of RAID10 storage. It's
> > placed in a different location from the servers, and connected to the
> > network backbone with a 10Gbit/s link. It's running CentOS 7.5, and
> > utilizing the mhvtl virtual tape library. It's working very smoothly,
> > and reliably. The cost of building the rig, running, and
> > administration is quite on the plus side compared to tapes (been
> > there, done that).
>

> I cannot see how the cost is lower. A 10G link to another location is
> extremely expensive in my area. I see the same problem with using cloud
> storage, S3, etc. The cost of the mhvtl rig or S3 storage is not the
> issue, but rather the ongoing cost of the bandwidth required to transfer
> the data in a timely manner. It may be different elsewhere, but in my
> area the bandwidth is far more expensive than tapes.

Do you need a 10G link though? -- For the amounts I'm backing up here 1G works
fine.

The other issue is RAID-10 and mhvtl: if you do disk backup, why go through the
extra layer of mhvtl? And not use ZFS -- I just finished replacing 4TB drives
w/ 8TB ones in our server, with no downtime.

--
Dmitri Maziuk <dmaz...@bmrb.wisc.edu>