> Hi all,

Hello Adam,

> I've been using Bacula for a number of years but recently got hold of
> an old tape autochanger with an LTO-4 drive, which I would like to use
> to have Bacula write to tape instead of my previous disk/file config.
>
> I think I have everything set up, all the tapes are labelled and Bacula
> switches tapes when each one fills up, however after the first tape
> started writing at 80MB/sec, the rest of them only write at 60-65MB/sec.
>
> Listening to the unit the drive stops, rewinds, then starts again quite
> a lot, so the drop in write speed appears to be due to shoe-shining.
>
> I have set up a spool file on my /tmp partition, which is a Linux tmpfs
> filesystem (data is stored in RAM), so there should be no speed issue
> reading or writing the spool file.  Certainly Bacula writes to it at
> over 120MB/sec when the file daemon can deliver data fast enough, yet
> when despooling the shoe-shining occurs.  The machine has no swap file
> (and 64GB RAM) so the data is definitely staying in memory the whole
> time.

For a continuous tape writing with spooling spool size should be at least the
same size of the tape.
IMHO this is not shoe-shining, but Bacula just stop writing to tape when data
is being spooled.
Shoe-shining is when you provide a very lower writing stream for the tape and
it is unable to fill the tape strip in the first pass. This is not the case.

Regards,

> Many thanks,
> Adam.

Regards,